What to do at MWC17
As is always the case with trade shows, ensure that you have come prepared! We recommend booking into the events as soon as possible as spaces are limited. Here are a few events that have caught our attention this year:
- Partner Programmes – Partners of MWC are organising events everyday with some amazing speakers. There is definitely something for everyone! We will be attending.
- Women4Tech – This new summit, aiming to reduce gender gap in the mobile industry, will be held on Thursday 2nd. Speakers include Vice President EMEA of Facebook. There will also be a speed coaching and networking session held on the 1st March.
- 4 Years From Now (4FYN) – This is the place to find new innovations and meet the startups that are leading the way in mobile. We recommend going to the workshop spaces if you have enough time, as this will allow you to get guidance and valuable tips from experts.
What to do in Barcelona
Every year, various mixer parties are organised, this is a great opportunity to network and meet new people in the industry. See below for a few events that we would recommend checking out:
Sunday 26th February
Welcoming Party hosted by Adscend Media and Newzoo from 8pm
Register and find out more here: http://mwcwelcomingparty.com
Pre-MWC2017 Developer Networking Day from 12pm to 6pm
Register and find out more here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pre-mwc-2017-developer-networking-day-tickets-31638582853
Monday 27th February
IoT Stars from 7pm to 10pm
Register and find out more here: http://iotstars.com
MEF @ MWC17 from 8pm to 11pm
Register and find out more here: http://mobileecosystemforum.com/event/mef-connects-mwc-2017/
Tuesday 28th February
SDI Scottish Whisky Reception from 5pm to 7pm
Free to attend in Hall 7, Stand 7B31
Cocktails + Superyatch from 7.30pm to 11pm
Register and find out more here: https://techicons.splashthat.com
Wednesday 1st March
4YFN Closing Party from 9.30pm
Register and find out more here: https://www.sala-apolo.com/es/programacion-entradas/4yfn-closing-party-2017-plan-b/_e:4444/
Thursday 2nd March
High Impact Technologies, How to build the future now – 7.30pm to 10.30pm
Register and find out more here: https://www.eventbrite.es/e/entradas-high-impact-technologies-how-to-build-the-future-now-31635046275
Where to Eat and go out
We would definitely recommend getting breakfast at your hotel before arriving at MWC. Starting your day on a full stomach will make it easier to last for the rest of the day!
For lunch, most attendees remain in the hall and eat in the food court areas – this is a great time to network and organise meetings with your team or potential clients that you have met in the morning.
Dinner is where it gets interesting! If you are part of a large group, we definitely recommend booking a few restaurants prior to your arrival. Near MWC, there are a few restaurants that are great to check out Nuclo, Spiral and Palmer. Of course, you can also wander along to Las Ramblas and find a tapas bar. Remember that the sign to a good tapas bar is napkins on the floor, showing the popularity of the venue!
If you still have the energy to go dancing, Jamboree is a great place to go due to its central location at Plaça Reial and there are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby.
Tips and Tricks
- Planning: Before you go to MWC, make sure that you plan everything! You only have a few days so it is important to know what you want to see, who you want to meet and when. In addition to this you should book your hotel and restaurant in advance to avoid any disappointment. Ensure your team are briefed on what their purpose is at the congress, be it sell, research, network etc.
- Passport: Don’t forget your passport! You will also need a form of ID on you during MWC.
- Badge: Once you have your MWC badge, don’t loose it! We would also recommend that you take it off when you leave the MWC. Otherwise you will be a prime target for pickpockets and tourist traps!
- Tech: You do not want your smartphone to run out of battery by lunchtime so remember to bring adaptors and an extra battery bank. We also recommend starting a Whatsapp group with your colleagues so that you are always in contact with one another.
- Packing: Wear comfortable shoes and come equipped with plasters, snacks and water – the days can be long and you might not have time to queue to buy water, etc.
Lastly, don’t forget to network! Bring plenty of business cards and make yourself available to talk to potential clients or partners. This is your time to learn about new technology and find solutions for the industry you work in!
We will be in Barcelona from Sunday 26th until Thursday 2nd March. If you want to pop over and see us we will be at the SDI stand in Hall 7 Stand 7B31. Come and say hello!